Saturday, August 10, 2013

Patrick Creedon (Burlington) on riding a horse for the first time



Patrick Creedon (Burlington): Estancia Santa Susana

Patrick Creedon: I had the experience of a lifetime at Estancia Santa Susana. The second day I was in Argentina, I had the wonderful opportunity to visit a farm for a delicious barbecue and horse shows! I was also lucky enough to ride on a horse for the very first time. I was nervous at first but once I was on the beautiful white horse, I became motivated. I am having a great time on my first BCS International Goodwill tour!

At the Estancia, I also took a carriage ride. It was a little frightening, to be honest. The buggy was from the days of the gauchos a hundred years ago and I felt like I was high off the ground. The buggy rocked from side to side over the dirt road, and all six of us thought that it was going to tip over. Everybody looked a little scared but, now that I think about it, I wasn’t really that frightened.

Tango dancing was really nice. I think the dancers must be really flexible. I liked seeing the dance with the swinging ropes that they use for percussion. At one point, the dancer was moving so fast that I thought that the ropes might fly off their hands.

I learned a new Spanish word. I learned the word butter—mantequilla—because I wanted some butter for my bread at the restaurant.

Museo de Memoria was very sad. You could see it in the face of Daniel, our guide, who said he was a teenager during the Dirty War. He told us a story of how his family’s housekeeper helped him avoid the police when they were following her. He said that anyone who voiced a political opinion could be picked up. Our regular tour guide, Susana, didn’t even want to go into the museum. She said she escaped to Brazil during the Dirty War.

My favorite school audience so far was at Colegio San Bartomolo in Rosario. The audience was really into the drumming and the scene. Great audience!

I really like drumming as a good way to express yourself. At home, I practice the different variations. Sometimes I make up my own variations. I don’t really make a song. I just start a rhythm and then see where it takes me. I kind of flow with it. Everyone should try it.

No comments:

Post a Comment